Friday, June 10, 2011

KaoHsiung I

Lotus Pond



Ok. So I haven't posted in forever and I really should have posted this way back in April, but here goes. It was a quick trip, and hopefully I'll be going back soon.

I just took this pic cause it was a big tomb. It's pretty common to see these things around. Hope I get one when I call it in!

I went to visit my friend's chicken farm. 

We saw this cool field full of flowers. It was just out in one of those new development areas. All paid for by the city.

My friend and her nephews and niece. 



I guess in the old days people who were traveling by foot needed to a place to rest, so they built this type temple by the roadsides. This one happens to be in the middle of Lotus Pond.

The "resting" temple at Lotus Pond.

Towers before the resting temple. You can go inside the dragon's mouth and you come out a tiger's mouth!
  

You can feed the turtles before heading into the dragon's mouth with these fish pellets. So many turtles! The turtles are awesome, but I think we are over-feeding them, so let's go to the resting temple.

You gotta go into the dragon's mouth.
Lots of cool pictures around on tiles. 

Inside the dragon.

Chinese "ghosts".
 After going through the dragon and tiger, head to the resting temple. It's about 100 meters, and it goes way out into the Pond.

You have to traverse the walk-way to get to the resting temple. 
After walking this, no wonder they call it a resting temple!
Inside the resting temple. Bottom floor.

Once you're at the temple, you're actually way out on the water. So, everything seems really calm and cool. 
 We'll head here next, just a little ways down the road:
Pagodas not far from resting temple.
There's also a big regular temple right across the way from the resting temple, if you wanna check that out.



These pagodas look imposing even from afar! You go into the dragon and tiger to access them. 


As you approach the pagodas, you'll see all these types of decorations. I'll have to come back to make rubbins of the designs. These reliefs depict different Chinese proverbs. I think it's over a hundred!


 

The inside of the pagodas. Each floor is a different set of gods, I think.

 



On the way back home, we stopped to get some roast duck and watched the lady chop up the duck. 


She does a whole duck in under three minutes. When that meat cleaver starts flailing... scary.


The duck roaster. Looks to be about 100 years old.





1 comment: