Friday, December 3, 2010

Leave your Hot Pants at the door!-Signs and Labels in Taiwan

 The butyshop.
 I've never seen an M&Ms vending machine.
What are Hot Pants, anyway? This was a sign outside the Chang Kai Shek Memorial Hall.
 This is a restaurant near our apartment.
 Do not frolic on the escalator at the Carrefour. Otherwise your leg might snap off like that poor child's.
 Taiwan uses a LOT more provocative ads then we do in the States.
 There are signs everywhere warning seniors that "escalators move fast please take the elevator." It's no joke too, one old dude almost started an avalanche when he stumbled on an escalator I was on.

 I could make a job going around Taiwan fixing all the misspellings and bad grammar.

Virgin Mary endorsed soap!

5 comments:

  1. My first impression of the kids frolicking sign: that, sir, is no leg.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The HOT PANTS are, literally, pants you wear on a HOT day. Basically when it comes to hotpants, people expect "shorts" here, yet it turns out that young females in the island prefer an altered manner which make it look like underwear, thus, naturally considered indecent. Obviously thats another piece of genius from our culture workers. Say, you should take a serious think about fixing those silly translations around Taiwan and make it a business, totally.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, I see. In the U.S. we would just call them short shorts. I find it kind of ironic that Taiwan uses such racy print and tv advertisements with girls wearing such short shorts and skirts but they never wear anything revealing on top. Never. The first time I wore a spaghetti strap shirt (practically all I own) I felt like a hussy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh they do, ma'am. Big time. They say seeing is believing. I'll tell you seeing is BLOWING...
    Funny experience, thou.

    ReplyDelete
  5. nice post! It’s something I have never thought about, really, but it makes a whole lot of sense. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete